Tuk to the Road

The trials and tukulations of Jo, Ants and Ting Tong the tuk tuk and our three-wheeled odyssey from Bangkok to Brighton...in aid of the mental health charity Mind. For more information please see www.tuktotheroad.com

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Busy busy busy....

We are having quite a week of it over in Bangkok. The time is flying by and every minute is filled with things to do.
Ants has been ill and has been put on antibiotics, so I hope she feels better soon. I am fine and seem to be in good health on my very poor diet of fags, coke and the odd grasshopper. They are actually quite tasty- a bit like a geasy kettle chip. I got a leg stuck in the back of my throat though and this induced a little wretching episode. I am happy to say that I did not throw up.
Yesterday we spent the aftrenoon in the tuk tuk factory and I was learning all of the mechanical skills that will hopefully keep Ting Tong in tiptop shape. I also had a little drive, recahing a top speed of about 10mph in second gear. Shit, if I go on like that it's gonna be a hell of a long journey back to blighty.
I am very happy that we have now reached the 17,000 pound mark for Mind, which is a third of the way there. Thank you so much to everyone who has donated- the money is going to a great cause. Only 33k to go until we reach our target of 50 thousand pounds. If we don't get there I will be driving Ting Tong around the country naked to get more publicity- only joking, or am I??????????
Got our visas for Laos this morning and I am going to get on the case this aftrenoon to try and get prior permission to cross into Laos at The Friendship Bridge- at the moment this is not allowed for Thai registered vehicles without prior permission. I will have to use what little charm I have to try and succeed. Coming back form the embassy I took a motorbike taxi. Perhaps not the safest method of transport, but by far the quickest. I got there back to the hotel in nearly half the time and was so happy that I was still alive that I gave the driver a healthy tip. The traffic in Bangkok has got to be the worst in the world- think permanent rush hour in the UK and you are still not even close.
Two days till tuk off and my dad arrives from the UK today to spend a week travelling with us. It is very exciting and having half a parental unit with us will certainly help to calm me down when we get lost or can't find the right gear i.e. anything above second. Having siad that, we will be travelling a little slower with dad in the back! Perhaps the next challenge would be to do the trip in reverse-I am pretty nifty at reversing Ting Tong.
Anyway, better go now before a power cut wipes this blog and sends me Ting Tong (crazy in Thai).
xo

1 Comments:

Blogger tuktotheroad said...

Thanks my sweet boys. I will buy you some grasshoppers when I get home if you want. That will be much easier for me to clean you up after a snack. Love you loads and loads. bup bup
xoxoxoxo

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home